CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 16, 2009

Souls Behind the walls

One of the local archbishops and one of the great scholars in Argentina said this,

“I have spent my whole life in the church; I know the church inside out. I have studied the doctrines of the church; and I have studied the structures and the history of the church through the ages. But it was when I visited that prison that I encountered the living church. I saw the church alive in the love of the volunteers caring for those sick prisoners in the name of Christ.”

Yesterday my friend Grace called me up asking for more bible for the inmates, she visited the women side and told me that they were looking for me, they asked her when will I go to prison and visit them again. That really touched my heart. Actually I miss them a lot, they are constantly in my thoughts and heart though I do not know them very well it’s the blood of Christ that brought us together.

Like what our Sabah Prison Director would say, ‘when we go visit the prison we thought we are going to bring Christ inside the wall but actually we are visiting Christ”

Hebrew 13:3
Remember those in prison, as if you were there yourself.

Remember also those being mistreated,
as if you felt their pain in your own bodies.

Matthew 25:43-45
43I was a stranger, but you did not welcome me,
and I was naked, but you did not give me any clothes to wear.
I was sick and in jail, but you did not take care of me."
44Then the people will ask,
"Lord, when did we fail to help you when you were hungry
or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in jail?"
45The king will say to them,
"Whenever you failed to help any of my people,
no matter how unimportant they seemed, you failed to do it for me."

Some people say that it must be our calling to go behind the walls. But I don’t think so, I mean it was not stated that we must be called first to visit those who are in prison. Well, I don’t want to elaborate more on this subject; I don’t want to judge either.
One thing i know for sure,God’s heart is always for these people, the least, the weak and helpless. Whether they are in prison because they were treated unfairly or plainly because it’s their fault, whatever it is Jesus also died for them. Criminal, the least of the community. I always believe if we do have real passion for Christ we will have genuine compassion for the lost, though maybe we are not called ‘full time’ in this prison ministry but it is rewarding and fulfilling if we spend our time visiting those who are behind walls.

it's been a year im in this ministry,I went in few times. Second after second, minutes reached hours and every moment I'm with them I felt God’s presence and there is peace. i can see the reality of Christ, His love and compassion. I was so humbled whenever I’m with them because i am also like them, a sinner, condemed, unclean and the difference is they got caught of their sin and im not but im still a sinner saved by grace. I can’t help the tears flowing down my cheek; it’s not the tears of sadness but tears of thankfulness. i can imagined myself in there and how God redeemed me, how He paid the price, his unconditional love towards me that took my soul away from death and eternal condemnation. whether we are prisoner or free man, if one soul owned by Christ, that soul can taste genuine freedom compared those who walk freely outside without Christ in their stricken soul.
I have this desire to serve these prisoner when I was a teenager and I prayed for 2years, crying out to God that I want to serve prisoner, somehow, somewhere I can comprehend their suffering. God always work in mysterious ways, I was hired to work with one of our church member and he was also a member of prison ministry and was promoted this year to be one of the Directors for Prison fellowship Asia. I’m looking forward to visit the inmates this coming 28th of Nov. yay! Thank you Lord

“God’s love is always expressed most powerfully amid the ruins of human existence. The strength of His love brings life amid weakness and decay. The living church is always a church that embraces the weak, the feeble and the incompetent. The Gospel truth is the resurrection of a dead man, Jesus. This is evidenced wherever and whenever His love and life is poured out through His people caring for others in the decaying, forgotten ruins of humanity. This is the church of the resurrection. This is the living church!”

By Ronald W.Nikkel

0 comments: